Friday, July 8, 2011

How Racing Opened My Heart


Over the last couple of days, I've been browsing around for 5Ks to get me back into racing. I lean toward charity races when it comes to choosing a race, even though most races do support a cause or organization. I try to select supported charities that are close to my heart like:


Local organizations like the Denton County Children's Advocacy Center

And one day do a marathon and triathlon for TNT

I've always considered myself compassionate and giving, but racing has opened my heart in immeasurable ways. The feeling I get when I cross the line is not just about me finishing. It's about knowing that I've helped one or two people that I may never meet to better the quality of their life. The feeling my heart is overflowing with joy as well as accomplishment.

Racing has opened my eyes to more volunteering opportunities and giving to others in ways that's more than monetary. Racing has helped me in my quest to teach my boys to grow up and be compassionate, empathetic, giving men. Racing for others gives my running more meaning than I ever could.

‎"Running has given me an opportunity to reach out and be a benefit to a fellow human being." - Mark Goldstein

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comment makes me smile!