Thursday, October 29, 2009

Racing Bug Has Bitten

On Saturday, October 17, 2009, I ran the Susan G. Komen 5K. This race was a momentous occasion in my life and in my "weight loss/get in shape" journey. As a "I only run when I have to" type runner, running was only a way to get back in shape for soccer.  Little did I know, the freeing of the mind and soul would make me a running addict in no time. I finished the 5K (3.14 miles) in 40:39 minutes...official time.

The Komen 5K has sparked a new intensity for running, and the racing aspect has fired up my competitive drives. The funny thing about these races is that I am not competing against the other runners. I compete against myself. Can I do it? Will I make it? What's the best time I can get without killing myself?

This past weekend, I agreed to begin training for a 1/2 marathon in April. I'll be running the Big D 1/2 on April 11, 2010. www.texasmarathon.com The bug has officially bitten. Granted, I now have new goals, other than general fitness, to push me in my running. The training will also keep me on track throughout the upcoming holidays. I suppose this would be the best way to mark my one year anniversary of my change back to the healthy lifestyle I used to lead. The only thing I fear is the one year anniversary of my step brother's death. His passing was what slipped me into the state I found myself in when I decided to change everything. I think what keeps me going is that I know he sees me progressing, achieving, and living, and he smiles upon me.

I hope you enjoy reading my journey through my training. A daily logging will keep me on track and moving towards my goal.






No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comment makes me smile!