Friday, November 25, 2011

A Different Day of Thanks

Today is a weird day for me. Every year, especially after tough things happen throughout the year, on the day after Thanksgiving, I remember an anniversary that was my "big life moment".

13 years ago, in the evening on the day after Thanksgiving, I was in a horrible car accident that I literally should not have walked away from. The specifics I will spare you, but I left my car with only a few scratches on my left arm, leg, and foot. The EMTs told me at best, I should be paralyzed from the waist down. The towing company told me there's no way I should have walked away from the accident.

Everyday when I run, play with my kids, hug my husband, you name it, I am thankful for the miracle of life I was given that day. Yet, I am more thankful for the after effects of that accident than surviving the accident itself.

I know if that accident had not happened, my life would be entirely different right now. Not bad, per se, but completely different. I most likely would not have my husband, my boys, my best friends, my in-laws, none of the people I hold so close to my heart. I know I probably would not have changed my major in college, and my career path would have been totally the opposite. Most of all, I would not know my purpose in life like I do now. Granted, it’s been a long, hard road finding my purpose, but during that journey, I realized I learned everything along the way has been leading up to now to bring me clarity and a sense of feeling fulfilled. Most of my runs over the last three years have helped me figure this out.

My purpose:

Be the best mother and wife I know how to be.
Help people in ways that are in accord with my own talents.
Spread and show love to every person possible.

This year, I give thanks on a different day of the weekend to kickoff the holiday season. I give thanks for the gift of my legs and feet to continue on with my training. I give thanks for every person I know. I give thanks for the three people I would do and give absolutely anything for. I give thanks for finding my way, even a little delayed, to make sense of this crazy world.

1 comment:

  1. Great post! Thankful you walked away with scratches so that you became a running mama on FB and my friend! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete

Your comment makes me smile!